Covert narcissists are skilled at appearing “normal”. They choose a victim they feel they can dominate or manipulate, and they choose opportunities to abuse their victim when there are no witnesses or in a passive-aggressive, underhanded manner so that their secret mean streak isn’t exposed to others. Motivated by self-preservation and self gain, they lack fail-safes, such as empathy or a moral conscience, against selfish behavior that is harmful to others. Denial is a characteristic of the disorder. They can be highly critical of other people’s behavior, but they always feel righteous about their own.
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder (psychopathresistance.com)
- Empathy and the Lack of It
- Sociopath vs. Narcissist.
- Narcissistic Personalities (angelspiritfree.wordpress.com)
- 6 Signs of Narcissism You May Not Know (psychologytoday.com)
- Test: Did you have a narcissistic mother? (lunaticoutpost.com)
- The Age of Narcissism (jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com)
- Conversational Narcissism (operaprince2013.wordpress.com)